Do I need to have a New York address to qualify for a medical marijuana card?

January 8, 2016

Yes. Per State regulations, you must have documentation of your New York State residency in order to obtain a Medical Marijuana ID Card with New York State.

  • You can satisfy this requirement by providing the ID number from your New York State Driver’s License or New York State Non-Driver ID Card.
  • If you do not have, or cannot obtain, this information, you must provide a copy of one of the following:
    1. a copy of a government-issued identification card that contains your name and New York State address. If you are under the age of eighteen, your parent or legal guardian applying on your behalf (proxy applicant) must submit a copy of his or her state or government issued identification and a copy of the applicant’s birth certificate;
    2. a copy of a utility bill or other document showing your residency issued within the previous two months. The document must contain your name and address;
    3. a copy of a current lease or similar document showing your residency within New York State; or
    4. other documentation as approved by DOH containing sufficient information to show proof of residency in New York State.

If you are a non-New York State Resident temporarily residing in New York for the care and treatment of a serious condition, and you have been certified by a practitioner registered in New York State, you must provide documentation showing proof of temporary residence in New York State. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  1. a copy of a lease;
  2. a utility bill;
  3. a hospital bill; or
  4. other documentation as approved by DOH, which contains sufficient information to show proof of temporary residency in New York State.

Click here to visit the Medical Marijuana Program Certified Patient and Designated Caregiver Registration Requirements.