Certify patients, enter patient’s demographic information, one of the eligible participants, recommendations for the patient
How to become a registered medical marijuana practitioner in NY
- As set forth in 10 NYCRR §1004.1(a), practitioners seeking to issue certifications for their patients to receive medical marijuana products must meet the following criteria:
- Be qualified to treat patients with one or more of the serious conditions set forth in Public Health Law §3360(7) or as added by the Commissioner. The law currently identifies the following severe, debilitating or life threatening conditions: cancer, HIV infection or AIDS, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury with objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity, epilepsy, inflammatory bowel disease, neuropathy, chronic pain as defined by 10 NYCRR §1004.2(a)(8)(xi), and Huntington’s disease. Patients must also have one of the following associated or complicating conditions: cachexia or wasting syndrome, severe or chronic pain, severe nausea, seizures, or severe or persistent muscle spasms;
- Be licensed, in good standing as a physician and practicing medicine, as defined in article one hundred thirty one of the Education Law in New York State, or be certified, in good standing as a nurse practitioner and practicing, as defined in Article 139 of the Education Law, in New York State, or be licensed, in good standing as a physician assistant and practicing in New York State, as defined in article 131-B of the Education Law, under the supervision of a physician registered with the New York State medical marijuana program;
- Have completed a four-hour course approved by the Commissioner; and
- Have registered with the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH).
- For more information, please visit the NY Medical Marijuana Program’s Practitioner Information Page.
About Columbia Care
- Our Facilities
Medical marijuana patients in New York State have a unique opportunity to obtain product from a licensed pharmacist available to answer all patient questions and coordinate treatment plans with each patient’s licensed practitioner. On entering our brand-new, world-class facility, patients are invited to wait in a comfortable patient waiting area before obtaining access to a private consultation room wherein each patient can meet privately with our pharmacy staff. At Columbia Care, we recognize that patients who have chosen to come to our facility have done so only after careful consideration and consultation with licensed practitioners. We do everything we can to make patients feel comfortable in our facilities by respecting patient privacy and by holding ourselves to the absolute highest level of professionalism and respect. All facilities are ground-floor, wheel-chair accessible.
Patients at Columbia Care will have access to our on-site pharmacy team. Our pharmacy team will coordinate treatment options with each patient’s licensed practitioner. Furthermore, our pharmacy staff will train each new patient on using our products. We offer assistance with scheduling as well as reduced fees for senior citizens, veterans, individuals on medicaid, SSI and SSDI assistance.
- Dispensary Experience
Each patient must present his or her medical marijuana ID card at the door of our dispensary in order to obtain access to our building. A receptionist and a security guard will be present to assist the patient at each location. For convenience, all of our dispensaries in New York State are on the ground-level; there are no stairs or elevators.
In addition to his or her medical marijuana ID card, we ask each patient to bring along his or her doctor certification as well. The certification contains product and dosing information that is a necessary part of having our pharmacist dispense medical marijuana.
For each new patient, our receptionist will scan the certification and the medical marijuana ID card together as one file in our system. On arrival, new patients will be asked to complete a new-patient intake form as well.
Columbia Care has no cost associated with a patient consultation. Columbia Care only charges for the products themselves. At this time, Columbia Care accepts both cash and debit card payment. Insurance does not cover the cost of medical marijuana. We do, however, offer a 15% discount to veterans, senior citizens, individuals on Medicaid, Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
New patients will meet with our pharmacy staff at the time of the appointment. At this time, our pharmacy staff will instruct new patients on the use of our products. New patients are invited to ask questions. Our pharmacist and dispensary staff may also want to make contact with a patient’s prescribing doctor at the time of the appointment if there are lingering dosing questions or other concerns.
Before leaving our dispensary, patients are invited to schedule returning patient appointments with our receptionist. Returning patient appointments are useful as many new patients develop further questions after using our products. These questions are often best answered by our pharmacy staff. After becoming familiar with the use of our products and becoming responsible for prescription refill dates, returning patients are invited to schedule prescription refill appointments.
I’ve never been to a medical marijuana dispensary. How does it work?
A medical marijuana dispensary is a simple, secure facility designed to provide access for patients to receive their medicine in a safe, welcoming environment. Qualified patients or their caregivers must present their state-issued ID cards at the door. No one else is permitted to enter the establishment other than registered employees attending to the facility. Once inside, patients are greeted by a NY licensed pharmacist who is trained to answer questions about the medicinal marijuana and will help the patient find the right product based on the patient’s individual health needs. The patient has a consultation with the pharmacist, purchases the medicine, and exits. Security staff will monitor all events inside and outside the facility.
Why should I choose Columbia Care as my dispensary?
Quality: We’re proud to be a dispensary in New York that is licensed to manufacture state-approved medical marijuana products which will enable us to offer the best variety of products and carefully control the quality of our medicinal marijuana.
Comfort: Our facilities are carefully designed to create a comfortable experience for our patients and caregivers. Our dispensaries will feature wide halls, cozy seating, beautiful plants and art, spacious restrooms, and wheelchair accessibility.
Customer Service: Our staff is friendly, attentive, and highly knowledgeable. We will work hard to maintain a welcoming and safe environment for all our visitors and we’ll do everything we can to make your patient experience a pleasant one.
What types of medical marijuana are available?
Per New York State regulations, approved forms include liquids and oil for vaporization or administration via inhaler as well as capsules to take orally. Under the law, smoking is not permitted.
What do I need to bring to my appointment?
Patients need to bring the following to their appointment:
New York Medical Marijuana Program Registry ID Card
Certification Form signed by certified practitioner
Are walk-ins welcome?
Walk-ins are not accepted at this time. Once a patient has possession of both a signed practitioner’s certification form as well as a physical copy of their New York Medical Marijuana Registry ID Card, they can schedule an appointment by going to col-careny.com.
What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept cash and debit card payment.
Can I return product and get a refund?
While we can accept product back to for proper disposal, we do not provide refunds.
New York City – Now Open
10am – 5pm Monday, Wednesday, Friday
11am – 2pm Saturday
Riverhead – Now Open
12 – 7pm Thursday
9am – 5pm Friday
11am – 5pm Saturday
Plattsburgh – Now Open
Open Tuesdays (by appointment)
If you are a healthcare practitioner that is interested in recommending Medical Marijuana please contact us at email@example.com
More detailed information here (password protected)
For access to this portal, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.